Updates on Deadlines for Health Coverage to Start on January 1: For most states, including all federally facilitated (FFM) and partnership marketplaces, December 15 was the deadline to enroll in or renew health coverage for January 1. However, because the HealthCare.gov call center had very high call volume on December 15, some callers were asked to leave their contact information and were told that a call center representative would follow up with them starting December 16 to finish the enrollment process for January 1 coverage. Some state-based marketplaces (SBMs) have set later deadlines for January 1 coverage, and New York, Minnesota, and Idaho have offered extensions. In California, consumers who had started the process by December 15 will be able to enroll through December 21 for January 1 coverage, Connecticut is allowing any consumer who selected a plan by December 15 to finish their application by December 19.
All consumers can still get covered or change plans through February 15, the last day of open enrollment, and current enrollees can report life changes that affect their 2014 coverage, such as the birth of a child. In FFM states, life changes can be reported by contacting the HealthCare.gov call center at 1-800-318-2596.
FFM Conducting Outreach to Certain Immigrants Who Applied for Tax Credits: The FFM is reaching out to certain consumers — specifically immigrants with incomes under 100 percent of the federal poverty level — who applied for 2014 coverage and who may not have gotten an accurate determination when they initially applied. These consumers are not eligible for Medicaid because of their immigration status but could qualify for financial help through the marketplace. The FFM has posted sample notices in English and Spanish.
State-Based Marketplace Updates:
- Oregon: The state has decided to adopt Kentucky’s Medicaid eligibility and enrollment software for its Medicaid program. Oregon is currently using HealthCare.gov for both Medicaid and marketplace enrollment.
- FFM: 618,548 Americans selected plans through HealthCare.gov between November 29 and December 5. Forty-eight percent were new enrollees, while 52 percent were renewing their coverage for 2015.
- California: 48,952 marketplace plan selections and 116,262 Medicaid/CHIP enrollments total in OE2 as of December 3.
- Colorado: 24,811 marketplace plan selections total in OE2 as of December 11.
- Kentucky: 15,140 marketplace plan selections and 10,017 Medicaid/CHIP enrollments total in OE2 as of December 8.
- Maryland: 45,014 marketplace plan selections and 35,340 Medicaid/CHIP enrollments total in OE2 as of December 11.
- Massachusetts: 83,988 marketplace eligibility determinations and 72,175 Medicaid/CHIP enrollments total in OE2 as of December 10.
- Minnesota: 14,415 marketplace plan selections and 19,015 Medicaid/CHIP enrollments total in OE2 as of December 12.
- New York: 52,398 marketplace plan selections and 102,164 Medicaid/CHIP total in OE2 enrollments as of December 11.
- Vermont: 25,867 marketplace plan selections total in OE2 as of December 11.
- Washington: 55,925 marketplace plan selections total in OE2 as of December 11.