National organizations host approximately 200 health care fairs,
launch big digital push to educate and enroll young Americans
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, January 26, 2015
WASHINGTON, DC –On Thursday, January 29, Young Invincibles, Enroll America, and other leading community organizations will team up to hold health care fairs across the country for the second annual National Youth Enrollment Day – the biggest day of action to enroll Millennials in the Health Insurance Marketplace this season. Throughout the week, there will be over 200 young adult-focused fairs across the country and a coordinated social media effort to provide young people with the facts and tools they need to get covered before time runs out.
“Our generation ends up in the emergency room more than any other age group, except the elderly. With so many Millennials qualifying for discounted health plans that cost less than the price of a typical cell phone bill, it is critical that we provide our peers with every opportunity possible to get covered during this final stretch of Open Enrollment,” said Jen Mishory, executive director of Young Invincibles.
Last year’s Open Enrollment season showed that young Americans wait until late into the Enrollment season to get covered – nearly 52% of young adults enrolled during the final month last year – and so if the enrollment pattern from last year continues, enrollment efforts for young adults will surge from now until February 15, the deadline to choose a new plan this season.
“It’s great news that many young people now have quality, affordable health coverage thanks to the options available to them through Affordable Care Act, but we know that there are still millions more who stand to benefit,” said Anne Filipic, president of Enroll America. “That’s why we’re excited to be working closely with our partners this week to reach young people where they are with the information they need to get covered.”
During this week’s outreach blitz, there will be over roughly 200 health and enrollment fairs aimed at engaging the young uninsured in at least 20 states. Events will be held in partnership with schools, shopping malls, youth ministries, fitness centers, barber shops, LGBT organizations, and other places in communities where young adults gather. Some of those events include:
- OHIO: Young Invincibles, Enroll America, Out2Enroll, and local health and LGBTQ organizations educate LGBTQ young people on benefits and protections under the ACA and provide free enrollment assistance at the Columbus Health Department.
- MARYLAND: Young Invincibles and local organizations host nearly day-long enrollment event, tailored for young African Americans and Latinos.
- MICHIGAN: The City of Detroit, Enroll America, and MusiCares are working with other local groups to host an enrollment event for uninsured musicians in the Detroit area.
- FLORIDA: Enroll America and Young Invincibles are working with community colleges across the state to host campus events to provide information and enrollment assistance to students and the surrounding community, including at Miami-Dade College in Miami, Polk State College in Winter Haven, and the “Spring Welcome Back!” event at Hillsborough Community College in Tampa that includes giveaways and a free dance class.
- TEXAS: Young Invincibles and local organizations jointly host Houston Rock Enroll: An afternoon of live bands, fitness sessions, free health screenings, in addition to enrollment booths.
National Youth Enrollment Day also will include a coordinated digital campaign with enrollment partners encouraging their followers to spread the word on social media using the hashtags #GetCovered and #YoEnroll to spark a conversation about the health coverage options available ahead of February 15. Participating organizations will host several Twitter chats to encourage dialogue throughout the week, starting off with Young Invincibles’ weekly Millennial Monday chat, using the hashtag #MillennialMon. Youth-focused groups will share graphics and memes and exchange state-specific data about enrollment figures to date.
About Get Covered America and Enroll America
Get Covered America is a national campaign of Enroll America that is focused on educating consumers about the benefits of health coverage and the new health insurance options available under the Affordable Care Act. With operations in eleven states (AZ, FL, GA, IL, MI, NC, NJ, OH, PA, TN and TX), our grassroots team is powered by passionate staff and volunteers with one motivating goal: to give Americans the information they need to choose an affordable health insurance plan that’s right for them and their families.
Enroll America is the nation’s leading health care enrollment coalition, bringing together community and health organizations, businesses and others to inform consumers about the new health coverage options and how to enroll in them. It is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization focused on one goal: maximizing the number of Americans who enroll in and retain health coverage.