Last week, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced $63 million in grant awards to organizations serving as Navigators to provide critical in-person assistance in enrolling Americans in quality, affordable health coverage. Our own data, as well as other surveys, have consistently demonstrated the value of these types of assister programs as critical parts of the overall enrollment community.
The full list of awardees includes 96 returning organizations and two new organizations in the state of Hawaii. Returning awardees are currently in the second year of a three-year funding cycle that was announced last year. We’re enthusiastic about the progress these organizations have made on their long-term plans, as well as their ability to maintain relationships year-to-year with community members.
We are excited to continue our work alongside these Navigators — in addition to other assistance organizations — to reach, inform, and connect consumers to coverage they can keep.
As the greater enrollment community gears up for the next open enrollment period, we’d like to highlight a few resources we offer:
- Get Covered Connector: The Connector is an online scheduling tool (available in English and Spanish) that consumers can use to find local enrollment help, and even schedule appointments online with Connector partners. Make sure your in-person assistance organization is listed, and be sure to embed it on your organization’s website (it’s free).
- Get Covered Calculator: Simply put, the Calculator is one of the most effective ways we’ve found of motivating people to take the next step in the enrollment process. The tool gives users a personalized estimate of how much financial help they could qualify for, and is available in English and Spanish. It’s free to place on your website.
- Get Covered Plan Explorer: Consumers in HealthCare.gov states can use the Plan Explorer to get personalized estimates on how much they would actually pay for expected health care services using different plans. By giving out-of-pocket cost estimates that go beyond just the monthly premium, the tool empowers consumers to pick the plan that best fits their needs and their budget.
- Get Covered Academy: Fine-tune your outreach and enrollment program with the Get Covered Academy — a suite of in-depth training and support services tailored to your unique needs.
- Health Insurance Literacy Resource Hub: Helping people get covered is just the first step — we also want to ensure that they understand and use their health insurance plans so they’re more likely to stay covered. Check out this interactive, sortable collection of resources you can use to promote health insurance literacy.
Congratulations to both the new and returning awardees! We look forward to working together in the next open enrollment period.