This blog was written by Leah D. Suarez, Director of Special Services, at the Florida Community Health Centers, Inc.
Florida Community Health Centers, Inc. (FCHC), which serves Florida’s Treasure Coast and communities surrounding Lake Okeechobee
In 2007, FCHC first piloted the Health Benefits Navigation program to help their patients obtain health benefits . Since then, they’ve helped ensure that more than 30,000 people received or maintained their Medicaid, SNAP (Food Stamps), and TANF (Cash Assistance) benefits with a 95 percent approval rating on applications submitted.
Secret to their Success?
- Training staff effectively
- Developing partnerships within the community
- Developing relationships with staff at the Department of Children and Families, the Social Security Administration, the Agency for Health Care Administration, and the Florida Healthy Kids Corporation
- Providing clients a detailed list of information that they will need to complete the application process
- Having bilingual staff available to provide one-on-one assistance with applications
With more coverage options becoming available on January 1, 2014, programs such as these will be critical to people who have never been eligible for health insurance benefits. If you want more information on what’s happening in Florida or in your state, click here!]]>